Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Where does your garden grow?


I'm so excited that this year I will have time to grow some of our own food in our backyard! Zach and I spent a weekend building a raised garden bed to house our little veggies. 4'x8' to start until we know I can actually grow something. I have been acquiring seeds and seedlings to plant when the time is right. We have a short growing season here where you don't need frost protection so timing is everything. I need to build a dog proof surrounding so Lucy won't be tempted to taste the goodies or more probably dig for tennis balls. I'm taking any tips or advice I can get so feel free to send it my way!

I'm thinking of planting: carrots, radishes, sugar peas, lettuce, and squash in the bed. On the side of the house I will plant herbs, chives, tomatoes and potatoes. Hopefully we'll be eating fresh treats this summer and fall!

2 comments:

Darleen said...

Fresh vegetables! Yum! how could you aren't going to just plant them in the ground? I really want to make a little section in our backyard for vegetables.

Sarah said...

I thought a raised garden bed would have better irrigation and it would be an easier way to control the weeds. I just planted in it on Monday so we will see how it goes...