Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Room for Our Baby

The process of designing our baby's nursery has helped me in two ways: to stay focused throughout the pregnancy ups and downs, and to have a place to direct my excitement for the baby's arrival while we wait.  Even though we don't know if we are having a boy or girl, I didn't let that stop me from creating a room for our baby.  Nor did I let environmental concerns stop me.  I'm happy to say that on a small budget I was able to keep everything in our baby's little room sustainable, re-used, recycled or chemical free. After all, this is where our baby will be spending almost all of their time growing up. 

I love blue's and green's and knowing the trend for baby girls is pink and blue for boys, I tried to create a room that could incorporate pink later on if needed (since it's always ok for a girl to be in blue but have yet to see infant boys in pink).  I picked bold bright colors that I thought a boy or girl could love.  Throwing pink into this room with drapery and pillows should be easy if we do have a girl for an accent color down the road.  

We only have two bedrooms in our house so the baby's room has to double as our guest room when we have visitors.  The sofa is a pull-out bed from Ikea that my mom will break in when she's visiting after the baby is born.
 The crib and bedding are from Dwell Studio and available through my company, White Canvas Designs.  The bedding is 100% cotton and soft for baby.  The convertible crib is made of beech wood and finished in non-toxic paint.  We have an organic mattress that was given to us by my mom to complete the chemical free sleep zone. 

Zach and I gathered vintage ski posters while traveling through Switzerland and France a few years ago which I re-framed for artwork.  I plan to add pictures of the baby as well after the arrival.  


The area rug is from Dash & Albert and 100% cotton for easy washing.  All the wall, trim, and closet paint is from Benjamin Moore's "Natura" line, VOC and odor free.  For extra precaution while painting I did wear a mask but was happy I wouldn't have to worry about chemical off gassing when baby is sleeping in the room. 
 The knitted mobile was a gift from girlfriends at my baby shower made by a company called Blabla.  The teddy bear was hand knitted by our aunt, Jane, and is absolutely adorable!
 

I copied a simple pattern of a tree and painted it on the wall after I discovered how expensive wall decals can be. 


Instead of a glider (which our little room doesn't have space for) I found a traditional little rocking chair at a garage sale un-upholstered.  I used some fabric scraps (100% organic cotton) I had left over from a company called, Mod Green Pod, to upholster a new cushion. 
Overall, I'm really happy with how things turned out and plan to incorporate more sentimental items when baby arrives.  We have less then a month until we meet the little person that will be living in this room and we couldn't be more excited :)

7 comments:

Lyles said...

What a darling room! You are such an amazing decorator!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love it!!!

LaDuke Family said...

It is perfect... I love it.

Darleen said...

I love it!! It's perfect. The crib is awesome! That sofa bed might come handy for you to sleep on. Love your wood beams.

Anonymous said...

It looks amazing! I'm very impressed.

jeannie said...

It's so adorable. Love the colors and theme!

j2e said...

Gorgeous! Wish it was ready in time for the article! Oh well, we'll just have to do another one.... Maybe how to turn your neutral room into a girls room, shld a little lady arrive :)