Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Grand Canyon Adventure


We leave this Sunday for 18 days on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. 14 people, 4 boats, 2 kayaks, and a whole lot of gear! It is a 'self-guided' expedition so no 'professional' river guides. The group I am going with has been waiting 11 years for a private permit to have the opportunity to float the Colorado on their own terms. After this year a lottery will be put in place where you can no longer apply to raft the river but instead will be randomly drawn from a large pool of contendors. So needless to say we feel very lucky to go! I'm excited to get to know this landscape better as I have only vague memories as a child when viewing it with my family briefly on a long drive from Reno to Texas. We plan on floating over 228+ miles while stopping to take hikes along the way. I have a solar charger for my digital camera battery so I hope to come home with great footage of our escipades. Ready or not, here we come!


5 comments:

jeannie said...

Hey, Have a great time! I'll be anxious about it until you get home, so be careful. It's going to be a trip of a lifetime, memories, pictures, experiences that no one can duplicate. Enjoy every moment. Love to you! xoxoxoxoMom

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous!! Once in a lifetime trip, for sure. I hope you have a blast. Take lots of pictures. I can't wait to hear about your adventure.

Ali Agee said...

Woohoo!!!

Darleen said...

HOLY COW!!! I can't believe you are doing this CRAZY adventure! I have always wanted to do a trip like this. I've heard it's lots of fun but can be dangereous so be careful. But I'm sure it going to be a once in a lifetime adventure. Have lots of fun. And take lots of pictures. I want to hear all about it!

kitty Henson said...

we are looking forward to the photos & the adventures of you two....what a beautiful place to be at this moment. the majesty & the vastness if heart stopping.
Dylan was meeting with a client that flies helicopters over the Grand Canyon & he made this trip on wednesday 17 october...maybe flying over you http://gallery.mac.com/dbost/100122

hugs, bob & kitty