Monday, May 12, 2008

Grandmother's Day Farewell


My grandmother, Dorothy, passed away this past Saturday, a day before Mother's Day. It seemed horribly painful at the time but now seems somewhat appropriate for her life to end around such a meaningful day. Death is never anticipated but she lived a strong 92 years of life and was loved dearly by her many family members. A matriarch in many ways her life was defined by her Texas roots, her loving husband, Robert, (who passed away over 10 years ago), her four children, and many, many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. A contagious laugh, green thumb in gardening, and delicious holiday meals are things that I will always cherish when thinking of her. Growing up she always seemed to have ample amounts of energy and drive throughout her life and had a story to tell in every situation. My favorite being of when she and my grandfather had gone on a date and she managed to get their car stuck in the mud while driving. She seemed to tell the tale just right and I can hear her laughing as she describes Robert trying to get them out of the muddy lake. To all her family and friends her life will be a positive inspiration to guide us through our many adventures. Dorothy, mother, grandmommy, you will be dearly missed!

4 comments:

zach latham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
zach latham said...

Sarah and Family-
I am so very sorry for such a loss. In the very short time I spent with Dorothy, I was always amazed at her positive outlook on life and willingness to greet each day's challenges with humor and a smile. That laugh sure was one of a kind! I wish I could have had the opportunity to get to know her better, but at least I had the chance to experience her unique and contageous happy oura. I'm sure she is doing just fine....

Darleen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's never too easy to say goodbye. She seems like a wonderful grandmother to love and cherish. Thankgoodness for memories.

jeannie said...

Sarah,
You said it so beautifully. Grandmommy would have been very touched, as I am, by what you said.
xoxoxo Mom