Friday, October 2, 2009

Trailing of the Sheep


I can't believe it's already October! This annual event always makes it feel like winter is just around the corner. I've blogged about this in the past but it never seems to get old to see flocks of sheep over taking the town for a few weeks. Just this morning I was on my way to work when I suddenly realized I need to take an alternate route because about 1,000 fluffy headed little rascals were headed my way. Shepherds on their horses, big white Pyrenees dogs, and a sheep wagon trail behind. My father-in-law likes to call them "little maggots" because they pretty much eat everything in their path. But to me they are a good sign of a healthy community, supporting sheep herding and the natural grass fed diet of sheep.

Trailing of the Sheep is an annual event celebrating as described here:
"The sheep migrate north each spring from the lower elevations of the Snake River plain of Southern Idaho, traveling in bands of close to 1,500 sheep, through the Wood River Valley to summer high mountain pastures. This traditional route takes them up Highway 75 through newly populated, residential areas and the towns of Bellevue, Hailey and Ketchum. Some continue their journey over Galena summit into the Sawtooth Mountains. In the fall, the animals retrace this trail south to desert fields and it is this return migration that we celebrate as the
Trailing of the Sheep Festival.
"

Unfortunately, we will miss it this year but I like that our community will be banding together for this annual event supporting agriculture and the woolly little army.

1 comment:

jeannie said...

Beautiful photo! You could enter that one in a contest, Sarah.