Monday, August 30, 2010

Summer to Fall

This past weekend the weather quickly changed in our little mountain town and gave us a glimpse of what Fall will soon bring.  Even though I know we still have many warm days ahead of us I started pulling things from our garden to get them before they had to meet the first frost.  There was some definite successes this year and a few experiments that didn't quite hold up.  The lettuce and carrots could have kept Peter Rabbit happy for a year.  The sweet peas, strawberries, radishes, tomatoes, basil, mint, dill, and rosemary provided a wonderful sampling but not quite enough to share outside our home.  The corn, watermelon, onions, potatoes, squash, pumpkins, and cucumbers are still working hard and almost ready to harvest.  The artichokes well, let's just say I'm not sure they are a mountain climate plant.
The end of a long season of lettuce.
The squash are finishing the season strong.
Lot's of little strawberries to snack on.
So excited to try these watermelon!
Just hope they can make it thru a few more weeks.
The cucumbers are getting stronger.
Lot's of carrots!  Lucy is now addicted.  
Oh and what is the deal with cilantro?  Why does mine always go to seed before providing the yummy leaves we like to use in tacos all summer?  These will be my challenges next year.

Thanks to my lovely husband for helping me install new pavers around the garden beds.  I'm already wishing I could start replanting for next year.   

2 comments:

ian and sarah said...

the lettuce and carrots were delish. thanks again for sharing some of your bounty!

Darleen said...

You'll have to tell me what preparations I need to make to my garden for fall. I have NO idea. I think all my vegetables are pretty done, but not quite sure. And I have no luck with my cilantro too.