Monday, November 16, 2009

Winter Cold


Zach and I had a wonderful Sunday skate ski for our first time this winter near Galena Lodge. Beautiful blue bird skies and a few trails to play on before the season officially starts. Everyone we passed had an ear to ear smile with excitement for the early ski conditions. The trails still needed some extra snow in places to cover over rocks or limbs but for the most part it was great start.

Earlier that morning we had Skyp'd with my sister, Addie, and her family in Tucson, AZ. From my laptop I was showing them the new snow in our yard, our firewood stack, and our wood stove keeping us warm. Cameron, my brother-in-law commented about how we must get tired of the cold. Yes, that happens as you can get tired of the heat I imagine. But in our hearts we love the cold and that's why we live here. I have never been more active in the winter time until I moved to Idaho. Nordic skiing, backcountry skiing, broom hockey, and skating are just some of the things that people are occupied with for fun during the winter. People are always on the move here and resting just means sitting around a fire somewhere with friends/family to share your cold adventures.

Cold is a funny thing. In some people's minds it can be the worst thing ever. Being cold can sound horrible. But as I've grown to learn and appreciate, cold also has a beauty and freshness that can only be enjoyed when you relax and open up to it. There is nothing like the feeling of fresh crisp air after a new snow outside. The quiet that surrounds is a moment to take a depth breath and feel warm and calm inside.

Not to say if anyone was offering me a free trip to say... Hawaii I would pass it up though :)

3 comments:

jeannie said...

I like your descriptions and with the right clothes and equipment you don't have to be cold. Yes, winter is great. Love that Skype, too!

zach latham said...

FINALLY!!

Darleen said...

Hmmm...I like the cold, but I LOVE the heat. Actually I love four seasons. I can't believe you have snow though. Maybe you should call me on skype sometime!