Monday, May 3, 2010

Escape From Alcatraz



I did it!  With the support of my family (Jeannie, Ben, Erin, and Zach) I finished the Escape Triathlon in San Francisco this past weekend.  And I have to say...it was one of the most enjoyable triathlons I have ever done!  Honestly, you must think I'm crazy to put myself through all the training and pain of the event.  But I guess that's what makes every tri-athlete a little loco.
The day of the race the weather couldn't have been better, with temperatures in the 70's and blue skies it made getting around the city by bay, bike, and beach a treat!





First the boat ride out to Alcatraz with two thousand of your new rubber wet-suited friends was more than surreal.  We chit chatted while the San Francisco Belle ship positioned us near Alcatraz island.  Just before 8am I heard a muffled national anthem on the ships loud speaker, some cheers coming from the right side of the boat and the race had begun.  It was a mass of heads moving like cattle directly to the side doors on the boat.  Yeah, right past those ship railings that you are always glad are there because you wouldn't want to fall into the cold bay.  There I was being shoved into the water, not by choice, but instead the massive crowd left me with little decision to contemplate.  Flop!  I was in.  The fear of someone else landing on top of me kept me swimming to get out of the way and then the cold water started to settle in.  I was moving amongst 2000 something random arms and legs, waiting for my feet and hands to go numb but surprisingly it didn't happen.  Must be those Idaho winters or that one REALLY cold triathlon at Red Fish lake.   But the water didn't feel as cold as I was anticipating.  Sweet I thought time to swim.

Knowing that I was suppose to sight certain buildings on the shoreline for the 1.5 mile swim while navigating across the "river" (an area of rapid waves where the current moves in and out), and then eventually aim for the right landing spot on the beach to exit proved difficult for me.  If there was an overhead video of my water performance I wouldn't be surprised to see myself swimming in circles while inhaling salt water.  At one point it might have been more efficient for me to just float on my back and spout up like a whale.  Not to mention I kept thinking a fish (in my mind that translated to a big mean shark) was following me... until I realized it was a spot on my goggles.  Miraculously after about 30 minutes I popped my head up and had made it to the beach.  Wow!  I couldn't believe I just swam across San Francisco Bay from Alcatraz.  I had to stand there for a second and take in what I just did.

Not for long...it was off to the first transition area to take off my wetsuit (which is never graceful) and slip into some running shoes for a 1/2 mile run to the second transition area.  This time I put on bike shoes, a helmet (which always manages to sit sideways on my head like a wanna-be gangster) and glasses to start the 18 mile bike ride.  My favorite part by far!  Every mile changed in elevation from rapid climb to rapid decent.  I felt like I was flying up the hills while most of the guys were struggling for breath.  Must be that Idaho air!  Unfortunately, they caught me on the downhills.  We were biking in the middle of the street in the best parts of the city.  Up into the Presidio, down by Cliffside, thru the Pacific Coast Highway at Ocean Beach, and up into Golden Gate park, before doing it all over again on the way back.  The flowers were beautiful and the air smelled sweet.  I was just lovin it!  Part of my bike high had to be contributed to the fact that I wasn't bobbing aimlessly in the water but mostly it was just an awesome ride!  I would highly recommend the route to people even during daily use.

Coming in for the bike and putting on running shoes always feels great until you start running.  In my mind I'm still on a bike and should just be able to fly past people.  Shouting out "ON YOUR LEFT" like Tea Leoni in the movie Spanglish from a mile behind the nearest runner.  Wisely, I refrained because I realized my mind was catching up to people faster then my feet.  Again another beautiful course!  Up around the Golden Gate Bridge down to Baker Beach.  Up the dreaded "Sand Ladder" (400 sand covered stairs straight up) and back up and down more paths and trails for a total of 8 miles.  Thanks goodness running is the last sport in the series because I always manage to make up for my swim circles by catching up in my tennis shoes.

And there it was the finish line...my wonderful husband and family shouting out as I ran by almost brought tears to my eyes.  It was such a great feeling to have accomplished this long sought after event in a city I truly love. 


Thank you, thank you to everyone for supporting me and helping me achieve my goal!  There was a lot of fun pictures if you want to see more and some video you can go to Zach's or Erin's online photo galleries.  Now if you can excuse me I think I better work on my pool back-stroke so I have a shot at making it across the bay in a straight line next year...

7 comments:

LaDuke Family said...

Congratulations! 11th place that is something to be proud of.

Erin said...

Sarah, you did amazing! You were way better than you made yourself out to be. I was very impressed with my older sis.

zach latham said...

S, you did so well, I'm so proud of you! It was so impressive to see you swim across the bay like it was nothing, then bike and run your way past so many people! I think this race just reinforces what you can do if you put your mind to it, congrats again!!

Anonymous said...

So excited to read this, great job!

Sarah said...

thanks everyone :) I feel so greatful to have you support me!!!

ian and sarah said...

WOW. that's all I can say.

jeannie said...

This was such a fun event and I'm so proud of you! I am telling everyone what you accomplished. Ben and I had a ball being with all of you and in the city on such a great weekend, too. xoxo Mom