Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Garden

I wanted to put a post in on Mother's Day for all the wonderful mom's out there but the day seemed to slip away from me.  I spent all weekend in the yard and my new raised garden bed (thank you Zach) to get ready for this summer.  In a way that is how I usually spend Mother's Day, in the garden.  Unfortunately, this year I couldn't spend it with my mom but she was definitely in my heart.  I remember learning how to plant seeds with my mom, trying to be very careful and patient.  With a little water, sunshine, and care the hard work always paid off.  And having a tomato out of the garden ruined every other tomato I would ever eat!  You can't beat a fresh grown garden tomato. 

My grandmother, Dorothy, always had an amazing garden when we visited in Texas.  I remember learning that dill was a plant and eating a flower.  I had no idea!  The butterflies, climbing clematis and her English garden were such a treat to visit.   Of course, Dorothy, wasn't your average gardener.  Being from Texas it wasn't uncommon to hear my grandmother shout, "Robert, get the shotgun!  There's a damn armadillo in the garden again."  

Just visiting my Nana in California it is evident that her green thumb abounds.  All the oranges we brought back to Idaho where treasured.  People told me they were the BEST oranges they ever tasted!  And the oranges aren't even in season right now.  Normally we would come home with boxes of the sweetest fruit you've ever tasted.  I can hardly wait to hear how good the lemons, figs, tomatoes, and apricots are going to be this year.  My Nana taught me that a jade plant can be a bush.  Not a little potted plant with five leaves, like mine always were in Nevada.  Her jade grows without fear just like her!

Jean, my newest mom, is my local sounding board.  She let's me know what will grow best in shade or sun.    I've learned that the cute little fluffy creatures we call "rabbits" are really a disguise for a terrible garden destroyer.  Jean has tricks for compost, tomatoes, and hydrangeas to keep them happy throughout our short Idaho summer.  Our plants have to be tough here!  We only have around 90 days for growing and Jean has taught me how to maximize that time.  She helps me know when to cover the garden bed because it's going to freeze at night or at times snow! I'm lucky to have her guide me through the garden in Idaho.

To all the wonderful Mother's I have in my life thank you for teaching me so much about the wonderful world of gardening.  Your thoughtful guidance will be treasured and shared :)

*PS- I didn't have the visual to go with this story so all the pictures are borrowed from various online sources. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I had a garden!!

Sarah said...

Portland is one big garden :)

zach latham said...

Thanks for all of the love that goes into our garden, you rule!!

Darleen said...

That's a beautiful garden! You know...you inspired me to start my own garden. I remember your impressive vegetables from last year. I'm hoping I get the same good-looking crops this year.