Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wildflowers

Right now is the best time of year to see the wildflowers around the Wood River Valley in full bloom.  It's wonderful to be on a trail and discover fields of wild lupine, balsam root, or daisies.  I'm slowly learning all the names.  No simple task because it seems I find something new everyday! 
 Arrow-leaf Balsam Root

Lucy and I went on a hike/run this morning out a gulch near our house.  I am constantly looking around at different colors and smells I hardly noticed a deer watching us about 100ft up a hill.  Luckily, Lucy didn't notice so we carried on our way weaving in and out of the waist high plants and flowers to our destination.  I keep forgetting my camera so I had to borrow some pictures to explain some of what I'm seeing.   

Indian Paintbrush
The only major downer for me this time of year is my allergies.  It's so tempting to ignore them and just envelope myself in the rainbow of flora around me but unfortunately my eyes, ears, and nose won't let me get too far.  So I observe from a safe and comfortable distance, which is probably best for our wildflower population because I would be tempted to pick them all if I could get closer. 
Yellow Lupine

Camas Blossom

1 comment:

jeannie said...

Great job on the pictures (even though they were borrowed) and identifying the flowers. I love doing that and try to when we're on RV trips or hiking (if I remember to take my flower book!).xoxo