Monday, October 11, 2010

Michael Update

For over the past week Michael has fought hard and is "out of the woods and into the shrubs" as described by his sister, Jennifer.  He has exceeded all the doctors expectations and is improving rapidly.  Another letter from Jen describes it best:



Mike and I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.  They were slowly weening him off the sedatives and his eyes were open all night like a baby discovering new things.  I asked him if he loved me and he winked three times.  I told him that Alabama lost and Mississippi State won and I got a high five.  He tried to write for me but i couldn't make it out - he has never had good handwriting anyway.  Even though we shared tears because we are so ready for this to be over, and I am the one that is supposed to comforting him, I found that he was comforting me.  He was telling me that everything is going to be ok by patting my hand and reaching for hugs.  I LOVE that dude.

Mike has been on what they call Jackson Juice since we have been here.  You know, Diprivan, the drug that killed Michael Jackson.  The only difference is Michael Jackson did not have a ventilator when he was on it.  Michael Lyons did.  YES, I said DID.  My baby brother is off the ventilator and will be moonwalking in NO TIME :-)  And let me tell you, the kid can dance.

During this process, Michael has developed pancreatitis which causes the gallbladder to swell.  The best treatment for this is to let the bowels rest and, of course, this will be closely monitored.  There is still pnemonia on the right side and some in the lower left lobe but the doctor does not seem too concerned.  He said he made more progress in the last 24 hours than he expected.  We hope to have him up and taking short walks within the next couple of days and respiratory therapy will start as well.   He still has two more days of antibiotics left. His central line in his chest has been removed and we have moved to an IV in the arm. Today is a day of Thanksgiving.

I couldn't be more thrilled for Michael, Jen, and the Lyons family!  

1 comment:

Darleen said...

Oh good! What a miracle.Prayers are answered. I hope he makes a quick recovery.