Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Great Race


I had a great weekend!  I'm still trying to wake up from all the fun we had...

Jenna, Willie, Zach, and I headed south from Idaho this past weekend for the annual Great Race from Tahoe City to Truckee, CA in a 30k skate ski race.  My sister, Erin, joined up with us in Reno at Ben & Jeannie's house to take part in the race as well.  My mom and Ben kindly hosted our "race team" for the weekend.

The day before the race we visited my aunt Carolyn and uncle Bob who are new parents of two adorable husky puppies, Sochi and Baba-Kahn.  Nothing like a puppy to brighten your day :)  

The day of the race was warm with blue skies.  On the course we had a great time laughing at each other and maneuvering up and down hills despite our hesitations or the course conditions.  And regardless of what Jenna says about skate skiing and the race, she did it!  It was not easy!  Up for about 10k and then almost straight down for the rest of the course, I think everyone felt like they were in a roller derby competition. We ran into old Reno friends, the Fairchild brothers, and enjoyed catching up throughout the course. 

Jeannie & Ben were in the stadium to cheer us across the finish line.  Willie's finale was by far the best!  He took a tuck position and pointed his skis straight down on the final steep hill across the finish line.  He entered the stadium faster then anyone would dare and demonstrated a perfect yard sale.  Hat, glasses, poles, and skis went flying everywhere.  The crowd went wild!  We had a blast!

Afterwards, we did a brief tour of Kings Beach, and Incline Village, of course stopping at my favorite, T's for a bite to eat.  Then we treated the boy's to haircuts in Reno while the girls did a little shopping.  My mom cooked up delicious meal after meal of food for the crew throughout the weekend.  My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer...

Thanks everyone for coming, for keeping us, feeding us, and taking part in the Great Race!  Hope to do it again!


6 comments:

ian and sarah said...

Fun, fun!

Please tell me you caught Willie's yard sale on camera...

Sarah said...

I wish!!!! He was like a speed of light that exploded in a rapid progression...mainly I completely forgot I was holding the camera and didn't catch it. Just knowing Willie though I'm hoping you can picture it!

zach latham said...

Wahooo! What a trip! Skiing, tahoe, T's, Scheels, dogs, great food, Fairchild sighting, what more could we ask for? Thanks for making it one to remember!

Anonymous said...

Everything was perfect.
A million thank yous.
NOW let's see...we are going to have you guys come to MA...we'll do a nice and easy game of field hockey. xo

Erin said...

It was so much! I think this might have to be an annual thing.

jeannie said...

Annual, yes! Ben and I enjoyed your visit so much. See you next year!