Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patricks Day!


Growing up my mom always found a way to make this holiday fun at home for us girls.  We would wake up to find our milk had turned green for our breakfast cereal, along with the toilet water.  That night we would have shamrock cookies, corn-beef, hash, and boiled cabbage for dinner.  Green shamrocks would be tapped around the house for us to find.  All this fun was due to the leprechauns of course! 

One year my sister, Erin, decided she was going to catch the leprechauns before they had a chance to escape.  She built a little trap out of a cardboard box (picture the stick and string trick), only to find that the cookie she had left inside was partially eaten and little green leprechaun footprints were all over the trap the next morning.  Drat's they escaped!  Those sneaking leprechauns :)

4 comments:

Erin said...

I remember that we both came up with the traps. The one year you are talking about, the footprints of the leprechaun were so perfect. They went up the box, down the side and even on the garage floor. I was very impressed. Still am!

jeannie said...

Fun times! The Leprechauns don't come any more, but the corn beef and cabbage are ready at this moment. I miss the leprechauns though.

Sarah said...

Did I tell this story last year? Maybe the leprechauns are visiting my memory...

LaDuke Family said...

ha my memories of them are so different. I remember comming home from elementary school and telling mom that other kids had green milk etc. "How come we did not get that?" Then I remember starting to leave stuff from the leprechauns my self. I esspecially remember doing it one year at Dads. I must have been too old when all your stories happend.