Friday, January 21, 2011

Elk Crossing


After work yesterday I was driving home and came across a herd of elk trying to cross the road.  They were in single file and slowly waiting their turn to risk the run across Buttercup Road.  Luckily, there was enough light out to spot these creatures because not only can they be seriously injured or killed but so can the driver.


I slowed down of course to give them right of way but they weren't interested in negotiating.  So I snapped a  few quick pictures with the pink sunset in the background and kept rolling home.

2 comments:

jeannie said...

I had a similar situation last night coming home around dusk. There was a stream of mallards(15-20) walking across Hackamore! I had to slam on the brakes when I noticed them in the semi dark. Granted, this isn't as impressive as elk, but I would have felt terrible squishing a duck or two. Glad you saw the elk in time!

Erin said...

AWESOME!!!!! No wildlife in downtown Portland. Although some of the homeless people might qualify.